Saturday, January 29, 2005

The Lantern Fishworks 1.0

1.0 Introduction and Examples

Deep in the unlit oceans of my notebooks dwell thoughts, ideas and quotes that never surface in my finished writings. Either they could find no purchase in an essay or poem or they are islands unto themselves whose expansion would serve only to elongate and not enrich their meaning. Flipping through my dozen or so notebooks, I see that I have recorded and collected hundreds of these unconnected jottings whose lingo-luminescence has pierced the darkness of my disregard. I present them to you now in no particular order through this series of columns.


01. Do people really “switch” from toast to English muffins?
02. A film about cereal box characters.
03. Handwriting in commercials.
04. Art is a byproduct of culture.
05. Name for protagonist: George Amplified Mockingbird (from cut-up).
06. I always thought Jesus died in a plane crash. I heard something about an “unconscious pilot.”
07. A long brickred poem called school.
08. Character author – (n.) an author whose name is not commonly known but whose works are.
09. The form welcomes but does not dictate the content.
10. “I seem to be everywhere these days.”
11. Misfumber – (v.) to remember an incident as being funny but later realizing it wasn’t when experiencing it again.
12. The vicious grammar enforcers: send out insulting letters to violators of language rules.
13. Morning becomes etcetera: when you get into a daily rut.
14. Technospoiled – (adj.) to be unimpressed with present technology.
15. “Hey, water doesn’t grow on trees!”
16. An Irish pub is a craichouse.
17. Confidence is a dog in my arms.
18. “You’re the gin in my lime.”
19. Is there a word for someone who tries to help and makes things worse?
20. Country stars tuck in their shirts.

Well, that’s the first twenty. This column is really a self-indulgent clearinghouse, I know. Don’t think I don’t know. Therapy comes in many forms – this time it surfaced through the legs of Neptune.

Gathered October 29, 2000

cp2005 The Lantern Fishworks

No comments: