Thursday, October 13, 2005

Meet My New Favorite Author

I just got back from Ohio where I attended (as Best Man, no less) my best friend's wedding, where he married a girl originally from that region (being a country setting 45 minutes from the Akron/Canton airport, though I know not in what direction). I took the opportunity on most of the six flights we took to and fro to read some J.P. Donleavy, an author whose books I've owned for years, yet had never read. (I am notorious for collecting books and putting them on my bookshelf where they remain untouched, unless I get a jones to alphabetize.)

He feckin' brilliant, and I was delighted at the following passage (as only I would be):

"My hard eye is suspicious of the disreputable and reputable alike. This is the behaviour of a New Yorker, which I am. But I am shy and thrive on people being nice to me and with friends I am found to be open, honest, warm, to the point of sheer insanity at times."

That's from the short story "Whither Wigwams." I love discovering authors, especially those whose books have always been in front of me. Now I see I have three more of his novels I can read. I'm full of the same excitement I feel anticipating what episode of Futurama the Cartoon Network is showing tonight. If they're showing any...

It shouldn't be surprising I'm still drinking that pinot noir from Canby.

3 comments:

Brian Kunath said...

I started reading Gingerbread Man a couple of times. Liked it, reminded me of a more understandable Joyce.

Maybe I'll start with the short stories.

Brian Kunath said...

I said the Gingerbread Man? I must have been hungry when I wrote that.

Anonymous said...

Thank God! I thought you meant Grisham's novel!