Sunday, May 14, 2006

MUSIC TO LISTEN TO WHILE DRIVING IN A HYUNDAI ON A SUNNY SUMMER DAY

I wrote this about three years ago for my local newspaper's "Summer Fun" section. The title says it all. Maybe I should have stopped with the title, but I decided to write the whole article anyway. Earlier this month I committed the list to CD -- I think it reads better than it plays (I forgot "Blue Train" clocked in at almost 11 minutes)!


MY TOP TEN SUMMER SONGS:

1. “California Girls” by The Beach Boys
2. “Brown Eyed Girl” by Van Morrison
3. “Dancing in the Streets” by Martha and the…

(Snore…) Splash! Oh, sorry, I think I dozed off into my mimosa! Can you imagine another boring list of the same sorry, played-out summer songs? I wouldn’t do that to you. Well, maybe I would if I needed some quick cash. But I wouldn’t do it to myself.

So I’ve decided to compile a list of songs with the word “summer” in the title.


MY TOP TEN “SUMMER” SONGS:

1. “Summer in the City” by The Lovin’ Spoonful
2. “Boys of Summer” by Don Henley
3. “Summer Wind” by Frank Sinatra…

No, no, I’m joking. Anyone with access to the Internet could dredge up an equally banal roster. If I were to seriously write a list of this nature, I’d introduce songs perhaps mildly unfamiliar to the general populace:


MY REAL TOP TEN “SUMMER” SONGS:

1. “That Summer Feeling” by Jonathan Richman
2. “The Other Side of Summer” by Elvis Costello
3. “Shadowy Summer” by The Frustrations
4. “Summer in Siam” by The Pogues
5. “Long Hot Summer” by The Style Council
…and five other super cool hits for those hot summer nights!

OK, maybe that wasn’t all that exciting either. Which is why my Top Ten Summer Songs will instead exhibit those tunes I prefer to listen to in the summer. More to the point, while driving with the window down as my wintry pale hand bangs out an accompanying beat against the unwashed door of my car. Some songs, you will find, indeed have nothing to do with summer in content; a few, I imagine, you will be unfamiliar with (both song and artist); one or two you may never need to hear again. For example, Song #1: Like a Rolling Stone, which plays from 5 to 8 times a day on any given “classic” rock station. (Startlingly, when discussing my list with a contemporary, she queried, “’Like a Rolling Stone?’ How does that go?” My mimosa shot out of my incredulous fingers. “How does that go?” To me, that’s like a third-grade school teacher saying, “The Pledge of what?” Of course, I’m a bit of a “rock snob”, as they say. Oh yeah, and an incredible nerd. On with the list!)


MY TOP TEN SUMMER DAY DRIVING SONGS (with Author’s Commentary):

1. “Like a Rolling Stone” by Bob Dylan
This song has always signaled the unmuzzling of the dog days of summer for me. “How does it feel?” Liberating!

2. “Even a Dog Can Shake Hands” by Warren Zevon
Bang! The ramp light goes green. Let’s see how this baby does on the open road. Fueled by the acerbic wit of Zevon’s delivery and former R.E.M. drummer Bill Berry’s driving bellowing backbeat, the song propels me beyond the mph capacity of Black Bolt (the moniker of my sweet ride). I keep it at 55, but my mind is going, like, I don’t know, 65-70.

3. “Desiree” by Laura Nyro and Labelle
After Zevon gets me off the ground, Nyro holds me there with this ethereal gem polished by vibes and unpronounced piano and clocking in at a perfect 1:52. A summer breeze captured on analog.

4. “Sweet Thing” by The Waterboys
From their masterpiece Fisherman’s Blues, this brilliant reworking of Van Morrison’s original taps my eardrums like a twister, throwing sunlight and dark clouds in my path as I drive on deep into the day.

5. “Motor Away” by Guided By Voices
Dayton, Ohio’s Godfathers of Lo-Fi Rock blow out the windows for you with this paean to the dark American desire to get away, thus sparing you the time-consuming effort of rolling them down yourself, especially when you’ve forfeited power windows for a lower sticker price.

6. “Blue Train” by John Coltrane
Yeah, I know, almost every earnest yet unschooled fan of jazz quickly bulks up their heretofore rock-heavy music library with collections by Miles, Monk, Mingus and Coltrane. I was no exception. “Blue Train”, from his only formal collection of songs for the venerable jazz label, Blue Note, showed me the ability of an instrumental to conjure up such vivid imagery. Maybe I like it too because the main lick reminds me of the horn part in “Vehicle” by The Ides of March. Do do do do doo…

7. “Brandy” by Looking Glass
…though I thought King Harvest sang this, but their song is “Dancing in the Moonlight”, which I thought was sung by Sugarloaf, but they sang…oh, forget it. I sound like Sunday morning radio. Anyway, “My life, my love and my lady…” may not be the sea, but I’m quickly approaching the coast.

8. “Does This Bus Stop at 82nd Street?” by Bruce Springsteen
The wild poetry of his debut album finds its surest footing on this exhaust-filled noisy drive through a hot summer day. “Senorita, Spanish Rose, wipes her eyes and blows her nose…” Honk, honk!

9. “Trouble’s Braids” by Tom Waits
Closer to the ocean we drive. A voice like wet gravel under the rain-heavy eaves. African talking drum, parade bass drum and acoustic bass bouncing in my ears. Through farm and forest, past llama and Labrador. How did this quiet summer drive become a mad dash to the edge of America? I only went out for a smoothie!

What will be the 10th song? Are you anxious to know? Are you even reading this anymore? No one would blame you. You’re probably down by the pool sipping on a peach iced tea and partially tanning in the lukewarm Oregon sun. For anyone still interested, here’s the last song:

10. “Summer in the City” by The Lovin’ Spoonful
Look at me. Some kinda hypocrite, right! I practically mocked anyone who would put this song on a list. So, what do I care? I love it! Those menacing yet hopeful opening chords exploding into the hot concrete noon of New York City. The thirst for open fire hydrants through the thick sheets of humidity until…SALVATION! The fresh air and cool blue lakes of the country; the shade and shadow only found in the city at night.

I have driven down the wide urban streets and rolled over the dusty backroads. Where is summer? I see the ocean before me. I see my home in the rear view mirror. In the expanse lives summer. I see it in the hills and the backyards. I smell it in the cut grass and barbecues. I hear it in this music. I hear it in your voice.

7 comments:

psaur said...

And here I thought you meant Blue Train by Cibo Matto. Who is this "Coaltrain?"

You forgot In the Summertime by Mungo Jerry on your too-obvious list. "Have a drink, have a drive..." Ah, those were the days.

psaur said...

My list, 70's-hits-only style:

-Saturday Night, Bay City Rollers. For the bass alone this would make it, but everything else about it is perfect too.

-Beach Baby, First Class. Yeah, obvious, but never fails to stir. I don't think I ever, ever, ever heard this during my years in Myrtle Beach, but damn if that isn't where it takes me.

-Saturday in the Park, Chicago. Brings back that ebullient bicentennial feeling. (Well, you know, I was seven.)

-Love is in the Air, John Paul Stevens. Not quite sure if this is disco, but it gets my feets movin'.

-Magic, Pilot. I couldn't shake this one's association with childhood summer if I wanted to. And I don't. (I can lump this one into a subcategory: Summer songs I still dig despite their being overplayed in commercials. So add Lust For Life and Ballroom Blitz.)

-TV themes. These are great cranked in the car cuz they confuse people. Is that guy watching The Rockford Files in his Toyota Corolla? Also: Themes from S.W.A.T., Sanford and Son, Laverne and Shirley, and Makin' it (you know, David Naughton!).

-I Can See Clearly Now, Johnny Nash. Maybe a little mellow, but you need that too. It does build to a good sway and head bounce kinda groove.

-Baby Hold On, Eddie Money. Useful to really embarrass yourself publicly, because you can't help but make the ducklip-face during the solo drumbeat part (or the whitey's overbite; your choice).

-Love Will Keep us Together, Captain & Tennille. Just plain good clean fun!

-Finally, nearly anything by ELO. And, spiting my self-imposed hits-only limitation (yeah--screw you, me!), nearly anything by the Ramones.

MO'SH said...

Nice! We were playing a lot of ELO up in New Paltz, despite one of the most glaring omissions in the whole ouevre of greatest hits albums - no "Do Ya"!

Apparently this had something to do with the song originally being on a Move album, Lynne's previous band.

And Amen on the Ramones!

the feeb said...

no one is going to put "it's raining today" by scott walker on their list?
download it now.
it's summer-tastic!

Anonymous said...

I don't care what ANYONE says, "Summer in the City" is SO. FRIGGIN. AMAZING. Everything about it. It's so evocative of exactly that feeling, the simultaneous surrounded-by-asphalt and buildings baked in merciless sun with the cool dark nighttime core. There are certain songs I remember hearing on crap AM radio when I was lil—this being one of 'em—that stand in my taste-o-meter as arbiters of some kind. "The Letter" by Box Tops, "She's Not There" by Zombies, etc... I now frequently find myself thinking: "Would I have loved this as an eight-year-old?" I want to hear you do this at the next karaoke. If you refuse to accept this challenge, I'll do it myself (grudgingly.)

Anonymous said...

No, I'm going to put "Cossacks Are" by Scott walker on my list. Yeeeeee-ikes! Scare-iffic. Djou watch that YouTube interview thingy? Rad.

MO'SH said...

I accept your challenge! Doesn't seem to be a shadow in the city!