Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Mr. Rex

Way, way back in 1982, I produced my "classic" (as it's written in pencil on the cassette) Dickie Goodmanesque piece, "Mr. Rex." I was 12 and working with a stereo something like this:


I'm sure it was from Sears. We bought everything at Sears back then. Specifically, the one in Hicksville on 107.

My source materials were drawn from my parents collection of records and 8-tracks, and recorded straight to cassette. The only thing more atrocious than the sound quality is my accent. I also see I've had a long history of saying the wrong words, dating back at least to this time (and surely long before).

"Mr. Rex" was a recently-discovered living dinosaur. He is interviewed by one "Joe Blow." I have the same exact humor now.

My clearest recollection of listening to Dickie Goodman was at my neighbor's across the street. A couple of kids from the block were downstairs at Annette and Linda's and Annette had a 45 of "Energy Crisis '74." The song cleverly ends with the speed slowing down and the words "We're running out...of...en...er...gy..."

Oh Dickie! I just learned he was from Hewlett. Long Island was a real genius factory at one time.

Anyway, here's "Mr. Rex." There's a lot of Billy Joel in the responses.

And as an added bonus, I present to you "Mr. Plutonion." (I portray newscaster "Harry Schwartz" interviewing an alien and the president...It's Just Goodman's "Flying Saucer" bit all over again.)

We're running out...of...gig...a...bytes...

4 comments:

psaur said...

A few months back I downloaded "Mr. Jaws" from WinMX. I didn't remember it being great, but I definitely recall enjoying the record as a kid. I ended up deleting the file immediately after listening to it, as it was much worse than I would have even imagined. I'm not being facetious when I say that your effort was at least as good as Dickie's.

The best part of your parody (?), however, is when you call yourself "Blow Joe." You sound annoyed with yourself, and yet you didn't redo it. That could be your motto: "The first take is good enough..."

MO'SH said...

Thank you, brother. Truer words were never said. Might be time to update my blog's header...

Morsel said...

OMG, I did something very similar to this! I'll have to dig this up and see if the tape even plays anymore!

Brian Kunath said...

I remember listening to "Mr. Jaws" over and over on my friend's record player. I'll just choose to recall the bit fondly.

I love "Mr. Rex." Isn't that the logical next step for a kid? From Jaws to a dinosaur. Nice work. A few times I swear I could hear other kids in the background.

Yes, your humor is the same today. And so is your voice, if I remember.

Awesome!