Tuesday, November 21, 2006

The Long Goodnight

Robert Altman died yesterday. Director of some of my favorite films including M*A*S*H, Short Cuts and my latest fave of his, 1972's Images.








Images stars Susannah York and is one creepy fucking film. I wish I was watching it right now.







Altman is often, or maybe always, regarded as a renegade director of sorts, which means he avoid the typical studio system pap. Who are we stuck with now? Tony Scott? God save us.

The first Altman film I ever saw was "Popeye." Of course, I wasn't aware of directors and such things back then. I also didn't know it was my first exposure to Nilsson. Except for maybe the coconut song.

Goodnight, filmyman!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very sad...isn't he Alan Alda's dad?

Anonymous said...

OK, not sure where I got that idea.....skip that! :-)

Anonymous said...

I happen to know you love Tony Scott's oeuvre, so don't even front. (Or maybe you just like the one with Keira Knightley kicking people in the face while wearing thigh-high boots, leather panties and a vest.)

I think my favorite Altman is McCabe & Mrs. Miller. I like snow. Though not so much when you die in it.