Sunday, September 30, 2007

Abandoned Columns 1.0: Dispatches from the 202 2.0


The conclusion of my two episode column "Dispatches from the 202":

(2/06/07)

Soundtrack: “Possession” by Elvis Costello & the Attractions

You lack lust/You’re so lackluster
Is that all the strength you can muster?
At first I could only find a live version of it on my iPod when I did a search. Maybe I didn’t have the original. Though I thought I had all the reissues. Maybe it’s from Taking Liberties. So I looked it up on allmusic.com. It’s on Get Happy, which I have. Turns out it was spelled with only three esses. I mean, huh huh, it’s crazy, you know…

“Love for Tender.” Musically, it’s built for the classic Costello dance. The jerky limb jutting.

Had my first haircut in Sellwood on Sunday. In my bathroom. I cut my own hair. Obviously. That should be part of my official bio:

Developer of Wet-Nap Suit
Namedrops Susan Lucci
Owns extensive Nikki Sudden Collection July 19 1956 - March 26 2006
Dreams in Spectracolor

and then…

Cuts own hair .

Soundtrack: “Fox in the Snow” by Belle & Sebastian

This morning I finally learned what Chrissie Hynde is singing in “Brass Pocket” – the line goes “Been driving, Detroit leaning.” I think the Detroit Lean is comparable to the Bensonhurst Slouch. Hynde said she wasn’t crazy about the song because the lines are too obscure.

“The pain of being a hopeless unbeliever.”
Wow! Well, it was a great run. A highly successfull column. It'll be out in book form from St. Martin's Press on the fifth...of never! Ha, ha... oh, Johnny Mathis!

2 comments:

the feeb said...

you look a little like pete thomas in this pic.

Anonymous said...

That B&S line is actually from "If You're Feeling Sinister," not "Fox in the Snow." Both fantastic songs, though, so what goes it matter?