Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Incidents on Long Island 1.0

The Malibu Invite. That's Malibu in Lido Beach and the West End of Long Island. Shit, I used to spend a lot of time out there, in Oceanside and Long Beach. But I only went to Malibu a few times. This is from I think maybe 1992, around the last time I would have gone. I'm sure I didn't actually use this invite, but got picked out of a hat for signing one of their cards a previous time I'd gone. It was a far drive from my house and I've never been a drinker/driver type (unlike all you swell and capable drunks out there!)

What was Malibu? Just a club like any other club on the Island in the 80s and 90s. With much more of a "new wave" bent than say Spit or Industry. Are those places still there? WLIR and then WDRE promoted the club a lot. I might have even seen a show there once. All the usuals of those various generation played there at some point: Squeeze, Matthew Sweet... I don't know -- Blancmange, maybe?

I was always intrigued with going to clubs, but rarely did, deciding that listening to music at home was always, and is still always, preferable.

But I've always loved a party!

Hey, did WLIR hold their Party Out of Bounds there? Psaur?

2 comments:

Brian Kunath said...

A guy I work with once snuck into a Matthew Sweet concert by telling security he was Matthew's brother, Chris Sweet. I think that's great.

the feeb said...

i remmeber when i saw matthew sweet there he got really pissy with his guitar tech.