Tuesday, March 10, 2009

The Great Album Covers of My Youth 1.0: Darkness on the Edge of Town

Album covers: my favorite canvas for pop art. I've got a rotation of framed ones displayed above my record cabinet. Is there a record album art gallery anywhere? I mean JUST album art, no CDs (although I'd definitely love a cassette exhibition). I'm not down on CD art, but it lacks a certain aesthetic, do you not think? (Douche!)

So here's a new feature of LFW for all you dusty-fingered old folks for whom vinyl is final!

In this case, you can judge the record by the cover. Springsteen looks like an anonymous mook on the cover of his own album. It seems less a portrait of the artist than of his character. And the venetian blinds, with the harsh shadow from the cord, is almost the true focal point of the photo. Beyond it, that darkness.

The cherry on top is the bruised typewriter font.

Also, Bruce kinda looks like Fonzie filtered through the pen of Jim Thompson.

1 comment:

the feeb said...

i always wondered what the story was behind this photo. it's so bleak. he looks like he's coming off a 3 day bender.