Tuesday, February 01, 2005

IMPROV 1.0

(I don't remember writing this, or what inspired this -- I think maybe 'inspired' is not the right word -- but I was probably trying to come up with yet another article format. Alas, searching through my "archives," I have not discovered an IMPROV 2.0. I think the gist of the column was I'd put on an album, start writing (I don't know if the "5 Mystery Words" was going to be a running theme), and stop writing when the album ended. Judging from the length of this, I probably got through one song.)

Soundtrack: Mingus Dynasty by Charles Mingus and his Jazz Groups
Quote: “Most people think that shadows follow, precede or surround beings or objects. The truth is that they also surround words, ideas, desires, deeds, impulses and memories.” – Elie Wiesel

5 Mystery Words to Work With:
Phlegm is our friend, but not at karaoke. Have you eaten seafood perhaps? I wonder. Were you boxing the impostor? I call my shadow “The Impostor.” He says the same about me to your shadow, and the shadows of trees, clouds, Volkswagens and lampposts. Where are the impostors? In the karaoke bars they are rice paper thin and do not catch the light; they are neglected by it. It’s very strange. They sing well, but are obtuse to my frequency: nor will I eat haggis no matter how well prepared the meal.
The 5 Mystery Words to Work With were: phlegm, karaoke, seafood, wonder, boxing.
Thanks to Irene and Mandy of Oregon, USA for today’s Mystery Words!

What a Day for a Daydream:
How deep is a daydream? (Put away your ruler, knucklehead. Where’d you get that anyway? It’s got my name on it!) Sorry. Managers. I daydream in two types of situations: one occurs when in any meeting of any length of time surpassing two minutes (almost always following the opening of the donut box and/or bagel bag). I’m a regular Rumpelstiltskin. No, that’s not right. You know the guy who sleeps. There was a movie…who was in it? It was Rip Taylor, Van Johnson or Henry Winkler. No, Winkle! Winnie Winkle! Or Wee Willy Winkle. Just saying his name makes me have to use the bathroom. That’s better than a cup of hot tea. Wow. Be right back… Rip Van Winkle! That’s the fella! Great. Now what? Lemme just go back over my notes…cup of tea…Winnie Winkle….who was in the movie…blah, blah, blah…oh, yeah…The other time I daydream is when I’m in a daybed. Y’ever see one of those? It’s a little tiny bed, just the right size for that little fella Rip Van Winkle. No, that’s not right. It’s a funny name: Snuffelufagus or Stanley Elkin or something. I’ve got it! Rumplemintz!

Typed April 11, 2002

cp2005 The Lantern Fishworks

No comments: