Thursday, December 08, 2005

A Return to Groton Street

After reading Qner's recollections of Groton Street 1993, I remembered a poem he'd written for Report to Hell No. 4. I present it herewith:

GROTON

Hanging out a window at 4 a.m.
knowing I can't do it
pouring a sweet-smelling all-purpose
cleaner into plastic cups and
proposing a toast -
swirling green
grinning contemplation
"One more shot of Mezcal!"
"One More Cup of Coffee!"
and soon Dylan's drawl fills
the room.
Hurling ourselves around
shirts untucked
brains unbuttoned
out spill spools of
broken poetry
futile plans
impotent threats
Kerouac!
Joyce!
We're just blunt enough
to be brilliant
just a screwturn away
from genius.

4 comments:

the feeb said...

i think we're all forgeting the importance of a lil' fella i like to call 'mick'.

Brian Kunath said...

Wow, I forgot about that one. Thought you wrote it until I got to the last line, which I do remember.

Hmmm, I think I like the one I wrote in 1993 better.

Do you have the stories we all wrote in 1999 -- the ones that revolved around the characters in the park? I lost those, too.

And I do remember Mick. And his importance. (When it came to watching our antics he was occasionally amused, occasionally enthused and occasionally bemused.)

MO'SH said...

Yeah, I think I do have those stories. Back to the archives!

Stu said...

I am The Academy of Addled Poets, and I declare this as quite possibly the best 4am poem ever.