Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Pstealing from Psaur: Song-a-Day for the Month-of-May

In solidarity with Psaur's resolve to post to his blog every day for the month of day, I reciprocate in kind with a daily post myself commenting on one song a day.

May 1: "The Lights of Cincinatti" by Scott Walker.

Before he started going Krupa on a side of beef, Walker recorded this Macaulay/Stephens composition, drenched in syrupy echo.

Tony Macaulay & Geoff Stephens also collaborated on The Hollies' "Sorry Suzanne", and "Smile a Little Smile for Me", immortalized by Flying Machine. All three songs were hits in 1969. The pair wrote a number of other songs together, including "Silver Lady" for David Soul in '77.

from "Silver Lady":

Here I am a million miles from home
The Indiana wind and rain cut through me
I’m lost and alone
chilled to the bone
Silver Lady

Macaulay & Stephens kept the 70's casual!

No comments: