Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Song-a-Day #17: Drugs and Wine and Flattering Light

Dammit! My monkey swizzle stick fell out of my margarita glass onto the keyboard! Now I have to lick the keyboard. Instead of the screen, which is what I usually do, especially when watching this 1984 Carvel commercial for the Cupie the Chocolate Nut ice cream cake for Valentine's Day. Tom gets a bit of a chuckle out of its name. They accept most major credit cards. Hey, remember that Tom Carvel joke? About taking a shit?

Today's song? I don't know yet. I'll get back to you after I knock out a few more swizzle sticks. I also have to finish the next installation of my Food column for the Bee (serving the Sellwood/Moreland/Woodstock area). Well, Urn creates the recipes and cooks it, and I eat it. I totally eat it!

The song? Not yet. The drink? Well, number three...

Wait! I've got it! "The French Inhaler" by Warren Zevon. Someone wrote of its thinly-veiled reference to Norman Mailer and Marilyn Monroe: "And your face looked like something Death brought with him in his suitcase." Mailer has wrote extensively about Monroe: a book, a play, and some text for a calendar my grandfather once had. I don't know what it's about, but the lyrics are fantastic! I'm listening to the studio version, though I prefer the live take, although it's not the best recording. What? Mmm...muddled pineapple and gin! "So I drank up all the money,Yes, I drank up all the money,With these phonies in this Hollywood bar..."

Hey, I'm back. It's Thursday now. What was I talking about?

No comments: