Thursday, May 03, 2007

Song-A-Day #3: Incredibly Drunk on Music!

Memphis' "Incredibly Drunk on Whiskey" from their 2006 release A Little Place in the Wilderness is today's selection. I don't know much about the band, except that it's a side project of some other bands, Canadians, you know. An obvious choice for a drinking song mix tape (I've been compiling a playlist on my iTunes for months), the song is one of the more cheerful odes to being tanked on mash (ha, like Hawkeye!).

The Chorus:

You looked at me
Pointed out that I was drunk on whiskey
You looked at me
Said, “let’s get incredibly drunk on whiskey”

That's gold, Jerry! But my favorite part is the opening verse where his sister drives him to the Megaplex. I think he's singing from a youthful viewpoint. Either way, it's funny.

It's jazzy! A touch of the Smiths, Gypsy Jazz, etc. Torquil Campbell, musician, actor, and member of indie-pop-canuck chamber combo Stars, fronts Memphis, with Chris Dumont, who may or may not be related to Allen B. DuMont, ostensibly the inventor of network television.

You can listen to the song on their MySpace page or can be downloaded here.

1 comment:

Brian Kunath said...

Can't wait for the Bob Segar post!