Sunday, February 05, 2006

Kara-Okies!

Shee-it! They sing a lot of country songs at karaoke out here! Almost more than in the Carolinas. But I forget -- it's cowboy country four steps out of Portland.

I got off 5 songs last night at The Ambassador, a Chinese Restaurant/Karaoke Bar that just remodeled its exterior to resemble a castle. Actually, after a little bit of research, I realize it looks a lot like Jiayuguan Fortress, also known as the "Strongest Fortress Under Heaven."



I wonder if Jiayuguan Fortress was also notorious for serving the "Weakest Bourbon and Coke Under Heaven"? Ah, what does it matter? The Crab Puffs are exquisite!

My repertoire was thus (followed by its rating):
1. Born to Run - Questionable
2. Come Dancing - Fumbling
3. The Stranger - Spot on (although with the whistling, I kept blowing in the mic)
4. Walk Away Renee - Nailed it!
5. Brandy - Got them on the dance floor!

Overall, a 60%. 70% if you consider I had to hold the mic in my hand. I believe the mic stand should be standard at all karaoke bars. And a stool. What am I? Tom "Fucking" Jones? (Thank god no one sang any Tom "Fucking" Jones for a change. Although, "I Will Survive" reared its ugly head around 11ish.)

I got home around 1:30 to find that, alas, the empty sidewalks on my block were still the same...

5 comments:

the feeb said...

i'll say this about your karaoke choies:you take risks. bravo! you're a true artist!

Brian Kunath said...

Nice, tight set. Though I seem to remember you handling a "country" song quite well back in Calabash: "Thank God I'm a Country Boy."

I recall the skinny karaoke DJ (do they even have those anymore) being impressed at your ability to get all the words out.

MO'SH said...

Yeah, but he wasn't so impressed that night Paul and I got so hammered we yelled, "Get off the stage, you fucking rednecks!" Then Paul spilled a pitcher of beer.

And as you sang "She's Not There", I thought I heard a cry in your voice.

Morsel said...

When's the video coming out?

Anonymous said...

Who's the fat guy on the right? It looks like a side by side of the Penn brothers.