Saturday, February 25, 2006

Sonsabitches...Bumpuses!

Darren McGavin has died at the age of 83. With many roles to his credit, I will always cherish as the father in "A Christmas Story." Not a Christmastime (or any other occasion) goes by that my family doesn't quote his character in what has become one of the greatest holiday films ever.

"He looks like a pink nightmare."

"You used all the glue on purpose."

"He's...smiling."

"Fragile...Must be Italian!"

Farewell, Kolchak! Your stalking nights are over!

And Don Knotts is gone as well! I've gotta put "No Deposit, No Return" in my Netflix queue!

3 comments:

psaur said...

McGavin dead? Wahdoodly blingblang! Frattenhouse sticklefifer!

Loved him as Kolchak as a kid, though when they show it on Sci-Fi, I can barely sit through an episode.

I cherish the memory of going to see A Christmas Story in 1983 with my sister Jackie. She had turned me on to Jean Shepherd, and we laughed our asses off as we watched his stories come perfectly to life. Darren McGavin especially could not have been a better choice for the father. I love that it has become a classic in such a short time, because in that nearly-empty theater with my sis and I were several of those loudly sighing assholes who must let everyone know their disapproval, and one dick in particular who walked out and made a point of saying toward us, "I'm not gonna sit through this crap" or something like that. Well, sourpuss, time has borne us out! RIP McGavin and Shepherd, but Flick lives!

Oh, and he was in Hangar 18, which I saw at the Hicksville Twin. Boy did that suck.

MO'SH said...

It was hard to tell the difference between Hangar 18 and the Hicksville Twin.

Brian Kunath said...

Amazing to me is that McGavin was OLDER than Don Knotts. Seems like Don was old even during the Andy Griffith Show.

That's my secret to aging gracefully: cultivate an old look, young. George Burns did it. He looked 60 in the old Burns & Allen show. Yet as time passed he didn't seem to age. The secret? Cultivating an old look, young. That's why I wear checkered golf pants and a tucked in sweater. It's also why I'm smoking my skin to a rough leather -- The rugged, outdoorsy look promised by 60s cigarette ads. Mmmm. Flavor country.

I seem to have drifted off topic. Too bad about Darren McGavin. He was great on Bewitched.