Thursday, November 03, 2005

Going to a Gumbo

I just got back from Safeway where I bought two limes for my gin (and something for dinner). Breezing through the frozen foods, the face of Smokey Robinson caught my eye. First I thought he'd gotten himself trapped in the freezer, but I came to my senses and realized Berry Gordy would never let that happen. A vested youth stocking glace eyed me cautiously, as I had yelped just a pitch higher than Bernadette Peters stepping on a slug. "Can I help you?" I asked, beating him to the punch. But he was already onto other adventures in the international foods aisle.

So I returned to Smokey, now realizing his face was on a box of frozen gumbo, Smokey's "The Soul Is In The Bowl " Seafood Gumbo, to be exact. Here was Motown's chief songwriter in their heyday (looking like Motown's chief songwriter in his heyday) gracing a box of frozen seafood gumbo. And according to its website, "Smokey is genuinely excited about his own line of food products!"

I'm not mocking Smokey at all. I love Smokey. Dylan didn't call him America's greatest poet because he owed him money. Byron would've shit his fucking pants if he ever read the lyrics to "Tracks of My Tears."

But I still haven't warmed up yet to Smokey's dreadlocks. What do I know though? When it comes to matters of hair and hairlines, you can cue "Tears of a Clown."

5 comments:

Sharon said...

He doesn't look excited...."Please someone get me out of this apron"

Brian Kunath said...

Hey, two limes for your gin is something for dinner!

I like that the website notes that Smokey is "genuinely excited" about this. It's like they can't believe a celebrity actually cares about his product. "No, seriously. He really believes in this stuff."

Like Dylan, I also love Smokey. But let's see if that good feeling remains after Bob releases his own frozen entree next month: Dylan's Olde-Timey Microwave Knishes.

Anonymous said...

Well did you buy the cajun delight? I just want to know if Smokey is chock full o' Gumboriffic ingredients.

Actually, I like Smokey's dreads and his extra white teeth. I'd buy it...packaging is everything.

Gotta go. Must get G&G (Gin and Gumbo)!

psaur said...

You should have tried one. Of course, everything you cook ends up "smokey!" Zing!

MO'SH said...

Fuck you.